Ahold Delhaize is one of the world’s largest food retail groups, a leader in supermarkets and e-commerce, and a company at the forefront of sustainable retailing. Our family of great local brands serves more than 50 million shoppers each week in the United States, Europe and Indonesia. Each brand shares a passion for delivering great food, value and innovations, and for creating inclusive workplaces that provide rewarding professional opportunities.
Your new office
Ahold Delhaize’s office in Zaandam, the Netherlands, is the home base for the Global Support Office (GSO), consisting of various corporate and support functions that help to further build Ahold Delhaize’s great local brands. One of these functions is the new Public Affairs team, consisting of one director in Zaandam and a resource based in Brussels. In order to start this team we are seeking to recruit a Director Public Affairs.
As Director you are part of the Ahold Delhaize’s Legal function. You report to the Head of GSO Legal and Public Affairs. A permanent resource in Brussels (EU PA Advisor) will support you.
As Director Public Affairs you can build and maintain a structured and well-coordinated Public Affairs strategy for Ahold Delhaize. This includes developing stakeholder engagement initiatives for Ahold Delhaize’s listed parent company and its executives, as well as supporting regional and market-specific strategies and initiatives, in collaboration with the Public Affairs leads in each of Ahold Delhaize’s brands who look after the Public Affairs initiatives in each of our local markets. It is important that you have or are able to develop a good feel for the commercial needs of our local retail Brands.
As such, you are responsible for anticipating relevant national and international developments, both short and long term, and defining early and appropriate initiatives to set the agenda. You do this in the external context of politics, society, regulation etc. with the purpose to inform public policy makers, international bodies, associations and other relevant stakeholders and provide ‘thought leadership’ both inside and outside the company.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing and systematically driving a globalPublic Affairs agenda for Ahold Delhaize. You focus on identifying key areas where Ahold Delhaize can help shape the agenda both for public policy making and for industry associations. Thus you will actively create the right external conditions for Ahold Delhaize’s Growth Drivers;
- Pro-active stakeholder engagement, taking initiatives to anticipate or address relevant developments in a timely fashion by providing information, organizing contacts and events where useful to inform the external context of Ahold Delhaize’s strategy and position on specific topics. You represent Ahold Delhaize at national, international and supranational government levels in order to reduce barriers for executing and development of Ahold Delhaize activities and Growth Drivers. Where appropriate, you participate in the public debates concerning any relevant topic in order to guard Ahold Delhaize´s interests. To do so you maintain relationships with public policy makers, relevant (inter)national authorities, EU institutions and associations by representing Ahold Delhaize´s interests. Also, you maintain relationships with policy makers, industry associations and other external stakeholders;
- Actively help to develop and support the Public Affairs strategic programs at the Global Support Office and support similar programs in Ahold Delhaize’s Brands. Also, you maintain an issue tracker of all topics/issues as a reference framework for all global Public Affairs activities. In this you ensure close alignment and best practice sharing between Ahold Delhaize’s brands.
This role includes the following tasks as well, in order to be successful in this role:
- Actively develop, lead and implement initiatives aimed at promoting opportunities or reducing possible barriers for Ahold Delhaize’s businesses;
- Support the Ahold Delhaize ExCo members in (preparing) discussions with policy makers or industry associations.
What do we offer?
- Working within the corporate heart of one of the world’s largest food Retail groups;
- Close cooperation with colleagues in operating companies in 10 countries, also through company-wide expertise groups;
- A highly qualified and energetic team of colleagues.
- A bachelor’s degree in political science/business/law, although a higher degree is preferred;
- Proven experience with public affairs and (governmental) stakeholder relations (including an active and relevant network in The Hague and Brussels) is required;
- A minimum of 7 - 10 years of relevant work experience, preferably for some time within a commercial organization;
- The ability to leverage existing relationships and build a network at all levels of government and regulatory bodies to have a voice of influence in the external environment that helps advance the organizational strategy;
- A fluency in both Dutch as well as English is important to discuss sensitive matters.
As a person you have the following key competences:
- Strategic and analytical thinking ability, capable of seeing and understanding broad and differing perspectives;
- Result-oriented and a somewhat commercial driven mind, in order to understand our corporate goals;
- The ability to prevent and anticipate problems, as well as devise creative solutions;
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills, power to convince;
- Sensitivity to public interest, public policy and government, and to the agendas driving politicians and media.
If you believe this role fits your experience level and ambitions, please apply with your resume and cover letter.
Would you like to learn more first before applying? Sebastiaan Taling, Talent Acquisition Specialist can tell you a lot more about this position via email@example.com
Please apply via the website so that we can track every candidate.