Your new job and office
About the job
For our mobile Android team we are looking for enthusiastic, independent, opinionated developers, who understand the potential impact they have on our active user base that is currently hovering around 3,3 million. This means 50 thousand people using the Albert Heijn app actively at any moment during the day, and that makes it a really fun project to work on!
Our team is large and very diverse, in regard to both culture and skills. Some of us are internal employees and others come from agencies or are freelancers, but all are fully integrated members of the team and are equally contributing to the app and its evolution.
What we stand for as a mobile team:
- We care deeply about consistent, malleable, well documented and tested code.
- We always keep in mind that code is more often read than written.
- We make sure our solutions respect the acceptance criteria because we test them thoroughly, picking the right type of test depending on what we re building.
- Doing things right, is more important than closing the ticket a day too early.
- We are firm believers that QA should find nothing and use our strict PR review process to learn from each other and have fun doing it.
- We work for our Users, not our managers.
- We know the price of sloppy programming because we ve paid it (and are still paying), so refactoring messy parts of the codebase is a normal part of our day (Boy Scout rule ftw!).
Why joining the mobile Android team at AH Technology? Let us give you a few reasons:
- We have modern technology in place: the app is 100% written in Kotlin and we re working on moving to clean architecture.
- You're building an app that is used by millions of customers in their daily shopping activities.
- All you do in the app has a big impact.
- You join a mobile community of 50+ engineers, who think alike, or different, but all love working on new initiatives, high performance and high quality, unit testing etc.
- Grow your career and become part of the AH Tech Academy; our learning environment.
Our tech stack: 120+ modules, 100% kotlin, MVVM, some legacy MVP, 90% coroutines, 10% flows, 0% Rx, messy in many parts, (pseudo) Clean in many others with refactoring plans in place, Dagger2 to Hilt migration in progress (80% there), 3k Unit, 1k Espresso tests, JUnit5, Mockito to Mockk migration complete, Compose incoming ( ), GitHub, GitHub Actions.
What do we offer?
The right ingredients for an impactful job
- An annual salary between 50-85K, depending on your level of seniority and experience, based on a full-time workweek (40 hours);
- Possibility to work 32-40 hours a week
- An additional yearly bonus (up to 10K)
- An attractive pension plan of which we pay out over 4x times the amount you contribute to the fund. So you ll continue to enjoy a comfortable income even after retiring :-)
- A minimum of 20 days paid vacation, optionally 12.5 days extra. Do you want to take that extra time off, or would you rather convert the extra days into discounts or sell them for cash? It s up to you!
- Travel expenses, a laptop and smartphone.
- 10% staff discount on groceries in all Albert Heijn stores, up to 300 discount a year.
- Follow training and courses via our AH Tech Academy.
What do you bring
- A Technology/IT Engineering Bachelor certificate or Master degree, or equivalent work experience;
- Strong experience as Developer of mobile apps in Android is a must.
- Know your way around with CI/CD, Github Actions;
- Knowledge and experience on SOLID principles, clean architecture and testing;
- Outstanding communication in English (Dutch is not mandatory);
- A highly communicative personality and not afraid to express your opinion about quality software.
We are looking for both experienced and less experienced mobile developers. Depending on the level of experience you bring, you participate in standups and refinements, write code, enforce code quality, develop best practices, write tests and manage releases. You support product or platform architects when needed, and guide and coach other (junior) developers.
If you don't check all the boxes, don't worry, we probably don't do either ;-). Feel free to apply and let us have a look at your resume.
Your new office
Curious about your colleagues? At AH Technology you work with the best experts in the field. In an open environment, where expertise is valued, where we learn from each other and have the freedom to innovate. Our mobile development community counts more than fifty Mobile Developers, mostly experts in iOS, Android and Flutter development. We work in a hybrid way, where we meet (on average) 2 days at the office, and the other days we work from home.
For more information about AH Technology, you can also visit
Stack Overflow: https://stackoverflow.com/jobs/companies/ah-technology-albert-heijn
Our blogs: AH Technology
Our interview Process
The first step is reviewing your resume and plan a (video) call with our tech recruiter Irene van Rosmalen, in which the Tech lead mobile for Android will join the last 15 minutes too, so you can ask more in-depth technical questions. The next step is a technical assignment to tackle at home, which we use to understand if your programming style matches what we look for in a team mate. If it does, we follow up with a relaxed 1-hour chat, where we talk about the assessment, your experiences, and some day-to-day technical stuff you don t really need any preparation for. At last there s a 30-min chat with the Head of Tech to get to know each other and tell you more about the direction and ambitions of the team.
Irene van Rosmalen (Talent Acquisition Partner technology) and hiring manager Remco Nabuurs (Head of Tech Digital Loyalty and Customer) will be happy to help you via firstname.lastname@example.org or send a WhatsApp to Irene via 06-23 62 04 40.
About AH Technology
Albert Heijn goes way back. More than 130 years, to be exact. So for millions of people, food shopping is synonymous with the Albert Heijn brand. We didn t achieve this with a complacent, hey, if it works today, it ll work tomorrow approach, but by continually rethinking our propositions and staying plugged in to customer demands. Over 1,000 stores? Check. The leading online food retail platform? Check, we build, run and love it. ;-)
So what s next? Accelerating our transition into a hybrid Food & Tech company is. We want to leverage data and technology to future-proof food shopping and make better food more easily accessible to everyone. At AH Technology, you team up with inspiring peers in the data, digital and tech domains. A community of diverse individuals who share a common goal; to create digital solutions that make (online) shopping simpler and more inspiring. Are you ready to reinvent the way millions of people buy and enjoy their food? We invest heavily in data, digital and tech. And that includes investing in your career!
AH Tech Academy
In 2021 we launched our brand new AH Tech Academy. A learning environment organized by and for our colleagues, together with external training partners. The AH Tech Academy is a platform that supports you in your daily work and learning on a daily basis. It offers a variety of courses and training sessions. Besides, the academy is a platform to share experiences and learn from each other's expertise. You will not only find software development trainings, also Agile courses, time management, presentation training and more. You can get your certifications and visit conferences. We invest time, budget and room for both your personal and professional growth. As we are further developing this platform and adding courses and trainings on the go, you can already enjoy the benefits of this program.