Your new job and office
You want: architecture, greenfield engineering, impact, scale. You don’t want: to move away from coding as your core activity. If that is you, continue reading :)
As Tech Lead Full Stack, you control how thousands of colleagues and millions of customers interact with the digital cash registry in our stores. You contribute directly to the migration of our current code base into a new stack. A mission you won’t take on solo, but as a full-fledged member of the Check-out and Payments team (seven engineers large). You will work closely with our platform architect to fit your ideas into the bigger picture. And you will team up with our second Tech Lead, who knows everything about our to-be-legacy, written in Perl.
Together you strive to create an agile pressure cooker that can deliver new code with speed while keeping our stores up and running. You recreate our existing state in a rapidly changing environment, where today's brilliant idea can be past expiration date tomorrow. All while managing dependencies like a boss. Challenging enough? As for the setting: we actively promote autonomy and experimenting. Misadventures are learnings to be shared with your colleagues! Speaking of which, at AH Technology you work with the brightest minds in the data, digital, and tech domains, so inspiration is never in short supply...
This is how you will reinvent food retail
- Build applications that run on 15.000 Linux-based check-out systems in over 1000 stores, handling 17 million transactions per week.
- Design a new architecture, select the best stack, rebuild it from scratch, and run it.
- Create a cloud-based ecosystem that can update multiple times per week.
- Integrate seamlessly with systems for warehousing, loyalty, promotion, bonus, etc.
- Ensure a positively surprising user experience for our colleagues and customers.
About AH Technology, food retail reinventors
Albert Heijn goes way back. More than 130 years, to be exact. So, for millions of people, food shopping is synonymous with the Albert Heijn brand. We didn’t achieve this with a complacent, ‘hey, if it works today, it’ll work tomorrow’ approach, but by continually rethinking our propositions and staying plugged into customer demands. Over 1,000 stores? Check. The leading online food retail platform? Check, we build it, we run it, and we love it. ;-)
So, what’s next? Accelerating our transition into a hybrid Food & Tech company is. We want to leverage data and technology to future-proof food shopping and make better food more easily accessible to everyone. At AH Technology, you team up with inspiring peers in the data, digital, and tech domains. A community of diverse individuals who share a common goal; to create digital solutions that make shopping simpler and more inspiring, whether it is online or in our stores. Are you ready to reinvent the way millions of people buy and enjoy their food? We invest heavily in tech. And that includes investing in your career!
What do we offer?
- An annual salary of up to 85K based on a full-time workweek.
- Attractive bonus plan, travel expenses, a laptop and smartphone.
- Generous retirement plan with a solid contribution from Albert Heijn.
- 32.5 days of paid leave to enjoy your well-deserved holidays.
- An employer that combines the best of two worlds: the career opportunities of a corporate, and the drive and autonomy ‘to boldly go where no one has gone before’ that typifies scaleups.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience. By relevant, we mean having touched architecture or having refactored code within a comparably complex environment, during at least some of those years.
- You're at home in Java. You also bring solid experience with Bash, Linux, Ansible, and Docker. Above all, you have an aptitude for learning other languages.
- Sharing your expertise and helping more junior team members to reach a higher technical level is something you enjoy doing.
- Well-developed collaboration and stakeholder management skills; you can discuss issues with colleagues at all levels. Including non-technical colleagues.
- You enjoy greenfield engineering, writing clean code and tests, and creating solutions that put a smile on the faces of your users.
Nice-to-haves (not a must):
- Experience within retail or with POS systems.
- Knowledge of Kotlin, Go, Python, Perl, or C/C++.
- Hands-on experience with modern front-end frameworks such as React or Angular.
Click the apply button and discover how you can work together with diverse and enthusiastic colleagues to invent tomorrow’s food shopping experience. Questions? Wouter Lipsius (Talent Acquisition) or Jeroen Buitenhuis (Head of Tech) are more than happy to tell you more. Reach out through either firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Oh, due to Corona we can only serve virtual coffee during these talks. Ready to apply? To help link your experience to this job, feel free to answer the following questions. That way, you can skip the ‘standard’ motivation letter.
- What’s important to you about the next step in your career, and why?
- Of which achievement in terms of refactoring or architecture are you most proud?
- Tell us something about an improvement that you’ve initiated that has had a positive impact on end-users or for your team.