Your new job and office
FoodTech is hot! You want: architecture, greenfield engineering, impact, scale. You don’t want: to move away from coding as your core activity. If that is you, continue reading :)
What do we offer?
The company: About AH Technology, food retail reinventors
Albert Heijn goes way back. More than 130 years, to be exact. So, for millions of people, food shopping is synonymous with the Albert Heijn brand. We didn’t achieve this with a complacent, ‘hey, if it works today, it’ll work tomorrow’ approach, but by continually rethinking our propositions and staying plugged in to customer demands. Over 1,000 stores? Check. The leading online food retail platform? Check, we build it, we run it and we love it. ;-)
So, what’s next? Accelerating our transition into a hybrid Food & Tech company is. We want to leverage data and technology to future-proof food shopping and make better food more easily accessible to everyone. At AH Technology, you team up with inspiring peers in the data, digital and tech domains. A community of diverse individuals who share a common goal; to create digital solutions that make shopping simpler and more inspiring, whether it is online or in our stores. Are you ready to reinvent the way millions of people buy and enjoy their food? We invest heavily in tech. And that includes investing in your career!
As Tech Lead Full Stack, you control how thousands of colleagues and millions of customers interact with the digital cash registry in our stores. You contribute directly to the migration of our current code base into a new stack. A mission you won’t take on solo, but as a full-fledged member of the Check-out and Payments team (seven engineers large). You will work closely with our platform architect to fit your ideas into the bigger picture. And you will team up with our second Tech Lead who knows everything about our to-be-legacy, written in Perl.
Together you strive to create an agile pressure cooker that can deliver new code with speed while keeping our stores up and running. You recreate our existing state in a rapidly changing environment, where today's brilliant idea can be past expiration date tomorrow. All while managing dependencies like a boss. Challenging enough? As for the setting: we actively promote autonomy and experimenting. Misadventures are learnings to be shared with your colleagues! Speaking of which, at AH Technology you work with the brightest minds in the data, digital and tech domains, so inspiration is never in short supply...
This is how you will reinvent food retail
- Build applications that run on 15.000 Linux based check-out systems, in over 1000 stores that handle over 17 million transactions per week.
- Design a new architecture, select the best stack, rebuild it from scratch, and run it.
- Create a cloud-based ecosystem that can update multiple times per week.
- Integrate seamlessly with systems for warehousing, payments, loyalty, promotion, bonus, etc.
- Ensure a positively surprising user experience for our colleagues and customers.
Your team’s ‘shopping list’
- 8+ years of relevant work experience. By relevant, we mean having touched architecture, or having refactored code within a comparably complex environment, during at least some of those years.
- You’re at home in Java and preferably Kotlin. Experience with, and an aptitude to learn other languages like Go, Python, Perl and or C/C++ is also very much valued. Hands-on experience with modern front-end frameworks like React or Angular is appreciated as well as a solid experience with Bash, Linux, Ansible and Docker. Above all, a willingness to learn is a must.
- Sharing your expertise and helping more junior team members to reach a higher technical level is something you enjoy doing.
- Well-developed collaboration and stakeholder management skills; you can discuss issues with colleagues at all levels. Including non-technical colleagues.
- You enjoy greenfield engineering, writing clean code and tests, and creating solutions that put a smile on the faces of your users.
Nice-to-haves (not a must):
- Experience with Perl, C/C++ and Angular (you should at least have the desire to make yourself familiar enough to understand the current situation).
- Experience within retail or with POS systems.
- An annual salary of up to €100K based on a full-time workweek.
- Attractive bonus plan, travel expenses, a laptop and smartphone.
- Generous retirement plan with a solid contribution from Albert Heijn.
- 32.5 days of paid leave to enjoy your well-deserved holidays.
- An employer that combines the best of two worlds: the career opportunities of a corporate, and the drive and autonomy ‘to boldly go where no one has gone before’ that typifies scaleups.
Click the apply button and discover how you can work together with diverse and enthusiastic colleagues to invent tomorrow’s food shopping experience. Questions? Aladar Horsky ( Talent Acquisition Specialist) or Remco Nabuurs (Head of Tech) are more than happy to tell you more. Contact Aladar Horsky via firstname.lastname@example.org